Get Your Type On for Build This Week
on Monday 12th of November 2012
Man we love Build! And to add to the week’s festivities, we’re hosting a typography contest and party for you to enjoy.
Build is a terrific week-long design conference held right here in our hometown of Belfast. Full of design films, eclectic and inspiring fringe events, and a cracker line-up of speakers, it’s a bright spot in the autumn calendar that attracts 300 designers to our little corner of the UK each year. We’ve sponsored the conference before, but this time we’re stepping things up to celebrate our public beta launch.
Typecast typography contest
This year, we wanted to contribute something fun for attendees to work on as part of their practical day. So this morning we launched a little typography contest on Dribbble. The great thing is, ANYONE with a Dribbble account can take part, even if you’re not attending Build. We’ve pulled together some nice prizes, and it’s fun way to put Typecast and those typography skills to use! If you don’t have a Typecast account yet, you can start one for free.
Just pick one of three quotes we selected from former Build talks and then release your inner type nerd. When you’re happy with your design, post it to the relevant Dribbble shot:
The contest closes on Friday 16 November at 5pm GMT. That’s when our esteemed volunteer judges, Elliot Jay Stocks, Trent Walton and Tim Brown, will start scouring through your awesomeness to select the best of the bunches. We hope to contact all the winners on Monday the 19th.
Awards and prizes
We’ve got a total of 6 awards on offer with some pretty nifty prizes up for grabs:
Overall Best in Category
One design in each category will get this award. Create a stand-out design that just ‘works’ and win:
- a 1-year single-user account with Typecast when we launch publicly;
- a Dribbble Pro account; and
- a hard copy 4th edition of Robert Bringhurst’s typography bible: Elements of Typographic Style.
In addition, judges will look at all three sets of submissions collectively and award three more prizes:
Make the judges smile and win:
Best Use of Color
Create beautiful chromatic combos and win:
- a 3-issue subscription to The Manual.
How’d They Do That?
Impress the judges with your CSS saavy and win:
- the complete A Book Apart e-book library.
- Anyone may participate, not just Typecast users or Build attendees. So tell your friends.
- To enter the competition, you must post your design to Dribbble in the correct shot: Wilson’s quote, Liz’s quote or Tim’s quote.
- You must design with web fonts and in your post include a link to a live HTML and CSS example of your rebound.
- Rebounds may include imagery, but submissions will be judged mainly on their use of type.
- You may use Typecast to create your design, but this isn’t mandatory.
- You may enter as many rebounds of a single quote as you like. You may also enter rebounds for more than one of the quotes.
Get ready to paartaaay
Attending the conference? Then make sure to stop by our offices on Wednesday night! We’re throwing a little shindig from 5pm–7pm and you’re invited. We’ll have tasty grub, plenty of drinks and lots of chat. It’s a great chance to chill out with other attendees and meet the Typecast team.
If you plan to stop by, do us a favor and RSVP on Twitter by using the hashtag #typecastdo. That way we’ll be sure to order enough food and drink to fill your bellies!
Hope to see you here!